Blood Sugar Level Testing
Reasons and procedures for testing your blood sugar level.
Diabetics must monitor their blood sugar levels to determine if they have a proper level of insulin in their body. If insulin levels are not optimal persons with diabetes supplement their body’s insulin production with insulin prescribed by their doctor and acquired at a pharmacy.
- It is crucial for diabetics to test their glucose levels on their own.
- Blood sugar level is found by finding the sugar content of a small drop of blood.
- Blood sugar levels analysis can be made by using a test strip. However for a more accurate reading, the use of blood glucose meter should be used.
Steps to testing blood sugar:
- Wash hands thoroughly.
- Pierce the tip of the finger with a small pricking device
- Clean away first drop of blood (not to be used)
- Drop a little drip of blood on the pad that is on test strip
- Follow directions that come with glucose meter to obtain blood sugar level
- Blood sugar is usually best checked before any meal (before consuming external sugars). Although you should discuss with your doctor exactly when and how often to check blood sugar.
- Keep a record of the history of your blood glucose readings and medications which should be taken to every doctor appointment.
*If you ever don’t feel well, or feel unusual call your doctor, right away!